Picking the perfect baby name often feels like an impossible task for expecting and new parents.
It’s something that will stay with your child for their whole life, and when ultimately making the decision, it can often be easier to rule out names rather than the other way around. Parents on Mumsnet recently came together to list some of the worst baby names still loved by mums – though it’s likely to upset a lot of people.
The question “What would you never name a child and why?” was recently asked on the parenting forum. Some parents even included their reasonings for thinking the names were bad, reports the Mirror.
READ MORE:Mum furious with ‘ignorant’ neighbours who ‘treat garden like a living room’
Many of the names on the list are actually very popular – which means there’s a chance it’s going to offend some people. Below are the top 10 names some parents wouldn’t call their children – and why.
- Mia – Because it means “missing in action”.
- Lana – As spelt backwards, it looks rather rude.
- Fanny – “For obvious reasons”.
- Grace – Because “there are very few accents that say it gracefully”.
- Amelia – As one mum “find(s) the ‘me’ so whiney”.
- Graham – As “it sounds like “Grey Ham'”.
- Flora – One mum admitted: “(it) makes me think of bacteria”.
- Alexa – Because it sounds too much like the virtual assistant.
- Mercedes – A parent said: “She’s a child not a car”.
- Luna – Because “it’s a pet name”.
Three of the names included in the list actually feature in the top 10 most popular baby names for 2022 so far, proving that people certainly aren’t being put off. According to BabyCenter, Olivia is the most popular girls’ name this year, closely followed by Emma and Amelia. Mia features as seventh most popular and Luna in eighth.
Get the top stories straight to your inbox by signing up for one of our free newsletters